Saturday, February 25, 2012

octopus sound machine info

It just occurred to me that i ought to post some information about the sound machine because people who have watched the video have no idea what they are seeing.
So, I made the third design of circuit boards from the handout in class to make the occilating sound machine. Then I found the little stuffed octopus toy at Hudson's Treasure Hunt for like a dollar. It was perfect because of all the legs and since it was originally a dice game, it has a zipper pouch on the bottom were dice were stored.
I dug through my small home tool kit and found 5 nails of the same size to use for the touch points. I then cut lengths of wire and after stripping the ends, wrapped the wire around the nail and taped it together with electrical tape. I poked a small hole in 5 of the legs of the octopus and threaded a wire length through each of them so that the nail head wouldn't fit through the hole. I added a drop of superglue around each nailhead to ensure it wouldnt slip into the hole. After all the wires were in place I soldered them to the curcuit board and then zipped the board into the pocket. This is what I had done until I remembered that I needed to add my toy.

My original toy was a lost cause with my limited electronic altering abilities so I went out in search of a new one. I found this cool little paperjams guitar pic that plays chords from 3 different songs when you make a strumming motion for like $7. I took it apart and rigged it so that you had to push a certain spot to make it work instead of shaking it. Then I decided to attach it to the nob of one of the eyes from the inside so that it would play when you poke the eye. It was a very frustrating task! It took some serious fenageling but I got somewhat working. The button kind of travels a little so you have to search for it, which is kinda fun. So, there you have the inner workings of the octopus sound machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment