Sunday, February 12, 2012

intervention project summary

The project is done. It was done in 2 parts.

Part 1: Friday, at Friday Night Fun at work I brought in throwie materials for the art project of the night. I set up at the art table and videoed the first 4 kids to make throwies and they tested them out in the kitchen area. which got plenty of attention from the other kids because kids arent allowed in the kitchen area normally. After that, the kids kept coming to make throwies. Several wanted to make more but I didn't have enough for that so they were disappointed. I sent letters home with the kids who made them telling the parents to ask about the throwies and about my plans for the project for the next night. Then I took about 30 kids with their throwies outside on the playground to play with them and it was awesome! All the red and yellow lights floating about, but sadly, my camera wasnt able to pick it up very well :(

Part 2:  I went out last night with over 100 throwies in red and yellow with a handful of purple to the parkinglot of a plaza that holds gamestop and starbucks. I got permission from a furniture store there to use their big moving truck and I was excited because it was a big surface to work with. Got out there with my signs and chair and throwies to find out the metal looking truck isnt magnetic in the least. I was so Bummed! I ended up having to use my car which is pretty small and not as exciting as the original idea. The LeBlanc family I met at work got there soon after I did and they brought signs they had made for me. They helped me make the rest of the throwies and stayed through the whole project. So the weather decided to be the coldest of the season and we were freezing the whole time. We danced and held signs that said to honk in you like and played with the throwies. Finally one little boy came out and played for a little bit. He was good! He got them to stick one after another after another! After that, 2 young men showed up and made the whole night better! They took over! Took the signs, ran up and down the street and yelled. They even darted across the street to the walgreens and started tagging people's cars and the pay phone with throwies. Then they decided that if poeple honk it means they want one and started trying to put them on the cars as they drove by. When traffic was stopped at the light, one of them ran across the road and planted a throwie on the back of an unsuspecting car but it fell off. Finally, 3 more kids from Friday Night Fun showed up and helped out. A cop drove by and we were all jumping and screaming and he pulled in the lot and I was kinda scared! But he was cool, he laughed when we told him what we were doing and then had us put some throwies on the top of his car and when he drove past us on the road again he played his siren for us! When I left for the night, I spelled ART! on my hood and drove home that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment